Buy Local: Shop Crow Creek
As part of Hunkpati Investments’ commitment to entrepreneurship and economic development on Crow Creek, we are proud to sponsor “Buy Local: Shop Crow Creek”, a campaign promoting the Crow Creek business community. The centerpiece of the buy local project is the Shop Crow Creek business directory, which features information on locally-owned businesses in Fort Thompson, Big Bend, and Crow Creek. To download a copy of the business directory, click here.
Why Shop Crow Creek?
Create Jobs for our Children
Local businesses create jobs for community members. When surveyed, 93% of Crow Creek students said they wanted to leave Crow Creek after they graduated, mostly because of the lack of jobs here. Supporting a local small business leads to more jobs for these youth, keeping our family here.
Grow our Sovereignty
We grow our sovereignty when we are self-sufficient, and self-sufficient communities only come through having our own businesses. In surveying people, we have discovered that only an estimated 10% of our money stays on Crow Creek every month, while the other 90% (almost $900,000) goes to Pierre and Chamberlain! If we keep the money here, it stays in our community and builds a local economy that makes us self-sufficient.
Support Local Families
No doubt many of us are related to or knows someone that does some sort of business— beading, quilting, car repair. Wouldn’t we rather support our own Aunties, Uncles, Families, and Neighbors?
Save Money Driving
Sometimes it may seem cheaper, but it is getting more and more expensive to drive far away to get our goods.
Take Pride in our Community
When these local businesses thrive, we now have local goods available. These businesses give back by sponsoring our basketball and fishing tournaments, training our youth through internships, and donating goods to our powwows. We can take pride in our community and all the things we have to offer the next generation. Also, we serve as an example for our children– showing them that they can succeed in business too.